Timeline for ALEXANDER CALLENDER, Private, 20th Company, Royal Sappers & Miners
1826: Born in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland (1).
1841: Residing at St Andrew’s Square, Glasgow, Lanarkshire with father Alexander, mother and siblings. Age 15. Occupation Carpenter. Recorded as Callander (2).
1848: c. June enlisted Royal Sappers and Miners (3).
1851: Quartered at the Woolwich Arsenal Barracks, Woolwich, Kent. Occupation recorded as ‘shipwright’ (1).
1851: 18 December arrived Fremantle on Anna Robertson 20th Company RSM. Trade recorded as ‘carpenter’ (4).
1854: 28 May married Catherine Muldony, St Patrick’s Church Fremantle (5). Alexander and Catherine had three children: Catherine Mary 1855, Fremantle WA. Margaret 1856, Fremantle, WA (died 3 months 1856). Mary 1857, Fremantle WA (6).
1855: Instructing Warder at Freshwater Bay Convict Depot, cutting timber for the Mt Eliza Depot.
1856: June. Returned to Fremantle as a ‘mechanic’ – which involved labour rather than instructing or supervising convicts – as punishment after an investigation into a complaint he made against an Assistant Superintendent at Freshwater Bay Depot (7).
1858: 2 February returned to England with wife and two children after six years six months service in Western Australia. One of eight rank and file men to return on the Dolphin (8). No corporal returned, despite a newspaper claim (9).
After this date Alexander Callender seems to disappear from available records, i.e. not found in census records in England or Scotland. He may have continued his Army career overseas.
No War Office series 97 Chelsea Pension documents were issued for Alexander Callender thus these other sources were accessed.
1. 1851 Census England & Wales [HO107-1589-437-11].
2. 1841 Census of Scotland [Parish 644-1].
3. Return of 20th Company in Western Australia 5 Feb 1855 [WO1-437-219].
4. Muster Rolls & Pay Lists Sep – Dec 1851 [WO11-126].
5. Family Search [GS Utah Film No. 1363695].
6. WA Birth, Marriage, Death Indexes.
7. Dictionary of Warders & Gaolers p.30, David J Barker.
8. Muster Rolls & Pay Lists February 1858 [WO11-158].
9. Inquirer & Commercial News [3 Feb 1858].